Criminal Record Checks
We’re raising the safety bar to ensure faster, accurate people decisions.
Not all background screening is created equal, and obtaining a complete picture of a candidate’s criminal history is harder than you think. With a vision to make the world a safer place, Sterling Backcheck stands apart having conducted over 5 million Criminal Record Checks for Corporations, Not-For-Profit Organizations, and Individuals across Canada.
Protect your Organization, your People, and your Property
Our processes are designed to facilitate compliance with federal and provincial privacy and human rights legislation. Provided in partnership with numerous Canadian police departments and based on information maintained by the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC).
- Forgery-proof results with an option to choose Re-Check – delivered directly online – 4 hours or less Turnaround Time
- Deeper dive with Sterling Backcheck’s Enhanced Police Information Check (E-PIC) to reveal information held within both national and local police databanks.
- Customized consent forms tailored to your business.
Faster Time to Hire using our Simplified Ordering & Consent Options
- eConsent – Online Ordering and Consent – allows for candidates to provide their consent anytime, anywhere
- myBackcheck.com – Portable Background Checks – allows for applicants to securely share results with organizations within their community
- Paper & Pen Consent with Online Results – when paper forms must be used, fax or email completed forms and copies to Sterling Backcheck and have results delivered securely online.
Flexible ID Verification Options
- Electronic ID Verification (eIV) – our most convenient option!
- Candidate’s verification done electronically from any computer by answering a few out-of-wallet questions.
- Developed by Canada’s major credit bureaus, eIV is used by most major financial institutions, and even by Canada Post.
- Recognized under the “Know your Customer” regulations, eIV is a suitable countermeasure against fraud and money laundering.
- Drawing from TransUnion and other 3rd party databases, eIV produces four out-of-wallet questions relating to the candidate’s credit history – only the candidate will be able to answer accurately.
- Information is cross-referenced with personal details provided by the candidate such as their date of birth and address history.
- Should they fail the process (often due to limited credit history), the candidate will be directed to Sterling Backcheck’s 2nd and 3rd ID verification options.
- Canada Post ID Verification – verified anywhere in Canada by visiting the nearest participating Canada Post location
- Candidates can print the form or download on their phone and visit the nearest Canada Post outlet.
- Canada Post scans the barcode located on the form and verifies the candidate’s identity using 2 pieces of appropriate ID.
- Once verified, the Canada Post clerk enters the results in the DPOI system, and the confirmation is sent directly to Sterling Backcheck.
- Sterling Backcheck then conducts the Criminal Record Check and delivers results securely to your password-protected account.
Have additional questions? Check out our Frequently Asked Criminal Record Check Questions
ResourcesSee All Resources
Beyond the Criminal Records Check – Defining the background screening program
As conducting background screening becomes the norm, organizations are struggling with creating a proper background screening program that expands more than just running a necessary criminal records check. Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, Vulnerable Sector Check, Global Screening, so many things to consider. Rod Piukkala, a former Chief of Police and a long-standing member of NAPBS, will offer his expertise on the subject and recommendations for the organizations on putting together a proper background screening program.
Cannabis legalization in Canada
Screen Now, Save Later
Sterling rebrands Canadian business unit and names new Managing Director of Canada
Criminal Record checks
Our comprehensive background screening services raise the safety bar to help ensure faster, accurate hiring decisions.
Enhanced Police Information Check (E-PIC)
Whether you know it as E-PIC or Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, it’s an imperative part of any background screening.
Employment & Education Verification
We validate who you are hiring in advance with thorough verification services backed by our own powerful fulfillment engine.
Want to talk background checks or brainstorm about hiring solutions? Need us to just listen? Whatever the reason, we are here to help.